Mom called to tell me that her sister died today. She died exactly 3 years to the day and hour that her mother died. She and I were quite close before my son was born; she was there for me when my own mother wasn't. I don't know what I would have done without her...
...Once when I was living with her, my aunt and I went grocery shopping just like we'd done dozens of times before. A woman in the parking lot asked my aunt if she could spare a couple of dollars so she could buy milk for her kids. The woman's car was next to ours, an old beat up station wagon with 4 kids in it. My aunt told the woman that if she'd come in with us we would buy groceries for her. We grabbed a shopping cart and let the woman get everything she needed for her kids. My aunt paid for everything. The woman was grateful; I was impressed and inspired. I will always remember her selflessness.
...It was hot the summer I was pregnant; everything that could have possibly gone wrong in my pregnancy had. I was scared. During my 7th month I had an appointment to see my doctor and then go to the hospital to sign up for birthing classes. My feet were so swollen, my aunt decided to take me to a little creek she knew about so I could soak my feet before the appointment. It was so nice and felt so good. When she took me to see the doctor, my blood pressure was so high they wanted to admit me immediately. Aunt took me home to get my stuff and then took me out to lunch before we went to the hospital. It might sound strange, but it was the best thing for me. She was so calm and sure of everything I didn't panic or get overly worried. My son was born two days later; 7 weeks early. He was so tiny that they wouldn't circumcise him until he was out of the hospital. He was in the hospital for 17 days and during that time my aunt had to have open heart surgery for a blocked artery. The day she got out of the hospital she had her husband drive her to the town where I was living, about an hour away, so she could go with me to the circumcision. She didn't want me to have to go through that alone.
...When I was living with her we went grocery shopping just like we'd done dozens of times before. A woman in the parking lot asked her if she could spare a couple of dollars so she could buy milk for her kids. The woman's car was next to ours, an old beat up station wagon with 4 kids in it. My aunt told the woman that if she'd come in with us my aunt would buy groceries for her. We grabbed a shopping cart and let the woman get everything she needed for her kids. The woman was grateful; I was impressed and inspired. I will always remember her selflessness.
I could tell a hundred stories like these, and I know that everyone who knew her could do likewise. I am sad today because I had not talked to my aunt for many years. I let time and hurt feelings get in the way of telling her how much I love her and how much I learned from her. I am a better person for having known her. I will be an example to my nieces and nephews as she was to me.
I love you, Aunt.
No comments:
Post a Comment